Dynamatic Ltd UK is a private limited company registered in
England and Wales under registered number 06243736 whose
registered office address is at Cheney Manor, Swindon.
Wiltshire. SN2 2PZ.
decades of Engineering and manufacturing
facility has a long history of manufacturing
that stretches back to the 1950’s.
1946 – 1981
In 1946 the Plessey Company based in Vicarage
Road, Ilford, Essex were designing and
producing airborne and ground support electronic
equipment such as radio and radar
systems. They also held many manufacturing
licenses for other products associated with
the aircraft industry which were in support of
the war effort. Amongst these were Borg
Warner licenses for aircraft engine starters,
fuel and hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic pump
licence was basically for a split bearing design
of pump designated as the Alpha range.
As the hydraulics
industry grew it was decided in 1955 to split
hydraulics into two divisions.
Fuel Systems went to Titchfield, Hampshire and
Industrial Hydraulics moved to Swindon,
By this time the
original Borg Warner licence was superseded by
products with the invention of the figure 8
bearing and double ended pressure loading
concepts. This was designated as the Beta pump
family which became, and remains the
industry standard. The growth of the
business was based on the massively expanding
tractor market. Very close relationships were in
place with Ford, David Brown, Massey
Ferguson and many other smaller manufacturers.
The first custom designed pumps were
made for Ford in 1955 and these were the
original dinner plate configuration.
business continued to expand within the tractor
market with production
of hydraulic rams, mono-block valves and cam
lobe motors for hydrostatic steering.
By 1969 there were
1,100 employees in Swindon including 60
engineers in two separate
departments. The first was ‘Power’ who
concentrated on pumps and motors and the
second was ‘Control’ who concentrated on the
The licence to
manufacture agreements were now going the other
way as Plessey sold
licences throughout the world.
During the 1970’s
the Swindon plant had become the most successful
of all Plessey Business
standard and custom pump business the fan drive
market was developed. This
started with a demand from the bus industry when
the engines were moved to the rear of the
vehicle. As the pump for power steering was
already supplied it was natural to extend this
a tandem pump configuration and provide a valve
system to drive the cooling fan mounted onto
a hydraulic motor.
By the late 1980’s
Plessey were concentrating on their high
technology businesses such as
semi-conductor manufacture, radar systems and
telecommunications networks. They had
decided to sell off those parts of the business
that did not fit with this core business
The Hydraulics business was one of those that
did not fit and so the facility was sold to the
Sundstrand Corporation of Rockford Illinois and
became Sundstrand Hydratec.
1981 – 2000 Sundstrand Hydratec, Sauer
Sundstrand, Sundstrand Sauer
Following the purchase there was a massive
concentration on efficiency and cost reduction.
Capital became available for new equipment and a
5 year plan was established. A big gain from
the purchase was working with Ames Engineering
to create special close coupled packages
combining hydrostatic products with gear pump
products for high volume markets such as skid
steer loaders. This combination provided cost
and space savings for these very compact
The tractor market
continued to be supported from Swindon with a
full time manager looking
after and driving new projects on a Global
basis. The introduction of the first open
piston pump integrated package (CCLS) at Ford
Tractors was a direct result of this
concentrated effort. The success of this project
led directly to follow on projects throughout
The fan drive
business also prospered in the US with a huge
market now available with
concentrated support from the US sales team
across the whole of North America. It was
decided to make the Swindon plant the
development centre for all fan drive projects
eventually a global team was set up to ensure the
product development met the market need.
2000 – 2007 Sauer-Danfoss
During 1999 discussions were taking place to
merge Sauer Sundstrand and Danfoss Fluid power
and in 2000 the merger took place. From the
Swindon perspective this was seen as a great
opportunity to expand the vehicle systems and
packaging possibilities with so many more
products available in the company portfolio.
business became an increasingly important aspect of
the Swindon plant output
with products still produced in high volumes for
many tractors models made from the 1950’s
right the way through to the current models.
In 2007, Sauer
Danfoss decided to focus on non-customised
products. With the expertise in
Swindon very much focused on customised
products, Sauer Danfoss decided to sell the
to Dynamatic Technologies of India.
2007 – present
Dynamatic Technologies were looking to expand
into Europe to better support their quickly
growing customer base. They are a major supplier
to the tractor industry worldwide from their
production base in Bangalore and so the Swindon
facility was a perfect fit. Dynamatic UK
Limited was established and became part of the
Dynamatic Technologies Group of companies.
The fusion of the
two organisations has set the stage for a huge
leap forward in other manufacturing areas such as Automotive and the
<< back to